On Sunday, I took my first sampler off the loom. I simply made overhand knots - while it was still on the loom under tension - to tie it off:
I washed it in cold water with shampoo to finish it. It probably doesn't look like much to anyone but me, but I'm happy with all I learned on this project. :)
Okay, not to mention relieved that it didn't all collapse into a huge tangled knot the minute it left the loom! ;)
I still need to scrutinize it carefully and make note of things like the amount of (weft) draw-in, etc. I did estimate almost one yard of loom waste in the warp! Yikes! :(
Here is the complete set of cards that came in my box:
Here is a close-up view to give you a better sense of the variety of yarns that the cards cover:
Each card gives a lot of useful information, such as how to care for the yarn and the tabby and twill setts.
This is absolutely perfect for me, as I know nothing about yarns. :)
Part of me wants to jump in and start on a "real" project. However, Chapter 6 of the Chandler book has 5 weaving homework assignments at the end, focusing on practicing plain-weave variations.
One of the nice things (for me) about getting older is gaining some patience as well. So, I'm going to work on her exercises. (Well, some of them, anyways - I might not be THAT patient!) I know that I'll learn important things and gain practice that will contribute to the quality of my first "real" project. :)